Monday, May 10, 2004

Supersize Me
I'm not sure how many of you have heard of this documentary, but no doubt you heard about the guy who was the subject of it. Morgan Spurlock ate nothing but McDonalds for thirty days. He had a few simple rules for himself...
1. Everything he consumed (even water) had to come from McDonalds.
2. He had to eat three square meals a day
3. He had to SuperSize his meal every time he was asked.
Now, I'm not going to go into too many details about the movie, nor will I start preaching about the evils of fast food. For anyone who knows me, I love fast food, and it should be enough for you to know that I'll be cutting back A LOT.
As far as a critique of the movie, it's funny and scary. For factuality and bias, I'd equate it with any Michael Moore movie... that is, you probably shouldn't change your entire outlook on life based on this movie, but hopefully it'll make you think. It uses extremes to point out an aspect of our daily lives that we take for granted in easy access to food, a focus on weight loss instead of healthy living, and how easy and fun it is to be lazy.
I think Supersize Me is showing at most Independent theatres in North America after its big opening on friday. It's easily worth the $10 to see it, if only to watch Spurlock hurl after eating a supersized double Quarter Pounder combo. Pure gold.