Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Frontiers of Construction
Lately, a lot of my spare time spent in front of a computer has been devoted to researching basic construction techniques. Specifically, I've been reading about concrete pads as simple foundations, framing for multi-story buildings, and basic insulating and electrical work. In the future, I hope to do some serious renovations on my cottage property, and I figure that knowing all this stuff will come in handy.
One of the things I've noticed is that the basics of building a house are pretty simple. Anyone could build a shack that they could live in for a long period of time, with just a rudimentary understanding of construction. It's strange that all this time, I thought of building a house as being as complicated and foreign to me as the science that put man on the moon, but it's not.
I think I'll go to Home Depot and pick up a few things...