Monday, April 26, 2004

"Put Trash in its Place"
Thanks to Jen's sense of Community Spirit, I was up a little earlier than I'd planned on saturday morning to help clean up the Park near our apartment complex. She had signed us up to clean the Park as part of a nationwide day to clean up Public Areas, and we had planned to get a lot of people to join us (because the Park is pretty big). In the end, it was me, Jen and Jana. That's a lot of ground for three people.

Here's what I learned about the general public by picking up after them...
1. People drink a lot of beer in public places
2. The aforementioned people prefer to smash their beer bottles rather than return them
3. If you're a man, and your underwear are in rough shape, throw them in the bushes in the park to decompose. Oh, and make sure that they're briefs.

... aside from that, the trash was pretty straightforward. Cigarette packaging, coffee cups, sundry bits of plastic, and pop cans-a-plenty.
Early on, I was starting to lose hope in mankind from seeing some of the crap that people threw away within feet of a garbage can (there are more than six in the park), but then good things began to happen.
One man was walking through the park with his two sons. He told them to each pick up a few pieces of garbage and put them in my bag. While they were scrounging, he thanked me and apologized for the state of the park. He even made a joke that his kids should help all day because they probably caused most of the mess. He was the most helpful passer-by. I was thanked by a few more people (mostly older people... 50+), and overall I was pleased with how the park looked.
But... then it happened. We went to grab some coffees, and by the time we came back (20 minutes later), there was a big white piece of trash right by the main path. I thought Jen was going to freak out and start taking lives.
So, the point of this story, is that cleaning up a local park is a sacrifice we all should make for our communities, and because I made that sacrifice first, I'm better than you. Called it.